Saturday, January 3, 2009

Dinner Tonight: White Fish with Wild Rice Dressing

Tonight's recipe was inspired by Ocean Perch with Wild Rice Dressing, from The Complete Food Allergy Cookbook.  Since I couldn't find Ocean Perch, I subbed in some kind of Sole that I found at the local co-op.  I also made a few other changes, like using a wild rice mix in place of the wild rice and chicken broth instead of the vegetable broth.

My favorite part about this recipe is you can freeze it for awhile.  Some nights, I come home and I just don't want to cook or I don't have time.  Or, I need my darling hubby to "cook" and I need an assembled meal for him.  This works great!  If your family eats a lot of fish, I recommend making doubling the recipe and making two pans of this.  Eat one right away (should only need 30 minutes to cook) and freeze one for later.  There is almost no extra effort and the benefits are immense!

Ingredients

Mild White Fish (I only used 1/2 lbs of fish, so our recipe only made 3 servings.  The original recipe calls for 10 fillets and is meant to serve 5).
1/2 C Wild Rice mix
2 1/3 Tbsp Oil, divided (I must confess I always eyeball the oil.  It's a waste to use a measuring spoon, I think)
1 medium shallot or onion
1/2 C celery, chopped
3 garlic cloves, or to taste
1/2 to 2/3 C broth - chicken, vegetable, or fish
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried sage
1/2 tsp dried dill weed
3/4 tsp salt (divided)
1/8 tsp pepper
2 Tbsp lemon juice (if tolerated)

Cook wild rice mix according to package directions.  When done, heat 1 Tbsp oil in a skillet.  Add onion, celery, and garlic and saute 5 minutes or until soft.  Add cooked wild rice, broth, oregano, sage, dill, 1/4 tsp salt, and pepper.

Oil a casserole dish with oil.  add wild rice mixture to the dish.  Place fish fillets on top of mixture.  Brush with remaining oil and lemon juice.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Cover with aluminum foil.

Here is where I diverged wildly from the recipe:  Cover dish with plastic wrap, or with lid (I highly recommend casserole dishes with lids).  Place in freezer for up to 1 month.

When ready to eat, turn on oven to 350 F.  Remove lid or plastic wrap.  Place dish in oven, while it pre-heats.  Cook for 45-60 minutes, or "until fish flakes easily"  as the recipe states.  

Or, if you want to cook this right away, cook for 30 minutes at 350.



No comments:

Post a Comment