Sunday, December 28, 2008

Dinner tonight: Chicken, potatoes, and corn


Chicken drumsticks for dinner tonight, simply because hubby does not know the difference between drumsticks and legs.  We're at the grocery store and I ask him to go get me some chicken legs.  He throws drumsticks in the cart and I don't double-check, because then he'd accuse me of not trusting him.  Instead, I'll just prohibit him going to the grocery store with me from now on.  Take that!

The chicken was seasoned with this recipe from recipezaar.com

Copycat Lawry's Seasoned Salt

Ingredients
2 tablespoons salt
2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon celery salt - added because the comments said it made all the difference.  I don't know if it did, but it was good!
Directions
1.  Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and mix well.
2.  Pour the blend into an empty spice bottle to store.

This comment is just to prove that I'm not fool proof either.  While at the store, I was buying the spices from the bulk section because I hate paying $5 for a bottle of spice when I only need a tsp or two.  My spice list was:  allspice, turmeric, onion powder, garlic powder.  I mixed together the onion powder and garlic powder into one bag, so I only needed one (because why waste more plastic) and then decided to do the same thing with the allspice and the turmeric, not realizing that they were for different recipes.  So, my beef stew (recipe in a day or two) had a little turmeric in it, and my seasoned salt had a little allspice in it.  I didn't really taste a difference, but if you want to make it exactly like mine, add in a little allspice.

I heavily oiled and seasoned the chicken, with the skin on.  It baked in the oven for 90 minutes or so, at 375, until it wasn't pink.  My oven may not be working properly, so yours might not take as long.  
The potatoes are pretty easy.  I cut them into small pieces, with the skin on (because that's where all the nutrients are, right?) and boiled them for 15 minutes or so.  I drained most of the water, and smashed them with a potato masher.  Then, I mixed in hemp milk until they looked creamy and smashed them a bit more.  No butter substitute needed, but be generous with the salt.

The corn was frozen, from my corn shucking days this summer.  I heated it on the stove in a bit of water until hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment